San Ġiljan edge out resilient Sirens

SIRENS GREENTUBE                  6
(1-1), (3-2), (2-0), (4-2)

Considering the form of the previous games, there was one favourite heading into this game. San Ġiljan maintained the prediction but had to work harder than expected to beat a resilient Sirens side 10-6. Paulo Obradovic and Nicolas Bicari carried their respective teams, and both had a tough battle.

Sirens had their best game so far but still finished the match empty handed and are still alongside Valletta at the bottom of the table with no points. They could have done better in the man-up situations scoring twice from six occasions.

Marco Baldinetti’s team started well as Canadian Nicolas Bicari scored twice while Paulo Obradovic responded for San Ġiljan. The champions recovered in the second session with three goals in the space of a minute and ten seconds from a brace by the hard worker Andreas Galea and Paulo Obradovic.

This lead seemed to be the beginning of the end for Sirens, but they fought back and equalised from a well-planned man-up from Isaiah Riolo and Bicari.

Matthew Zammit regained the lead for his team in the beginning of the third session with a precise lob. Andreas Galea doubled the lead in the middle of the session as San Ġiljan controlled well the session to start the last session 6-4.

Sirens were determined not to let the game slip away and Bicari pulled one back in their first action of the last session. Peter Borg made it 7-5, but John Brownrigg gave a life line to his team. After Paulo Obradovic scored immediately, the game was decided and Dino Zammit scored a brace in the end to seal the the match.

San Ġiljan: J. Tanti, P. Borg (1), A. Galea (3), B. Grech, C. Farrugia, M. Zammit (1), B. Plumpton, Da. Zammit, T. Said, P. Obradovic (3), P. Fava, Di. Zammit (2), T. Micallef

Sirens: N. Grixti, Z. Bartolo, E. Aquilina, N. Bicari (4), M. Grech, I. Riolo (1), C. Mercieca, J. Sciberras, J. Napier, J. Ciantar, L. Caruana, J. Brownrigg (1), O. Gauci

Referees: Peter Balzan, Luca Castagnola